Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I love watermelon, I really do!



This is an interesting recipe. I had seen my grandma make this years ago. This summer I ate a lot of sweet, juicy watermelon and one day I remembered my doddamma's recipe. Well, it's quite simple, it's like any other veggie palya/subji (a veggie dish without any gravy/sauce).

  • watermelon peel (the green bit, a couple of quarters)
  • fresh green/red chillies
  • a small piece of ginger
  • a small onion
  • 1-2 dry chillies
  • 2 tbspns grated fresh coconut
  • 1/2 tspn mustard seeds, 1/2 tspn chana dal, 1/2 tspn urad dal, 1 pinch of hing
  • 2 tbspns oil
  1. Wash the peel thoroughly. Chop it up into small cubes.
  2. Heat oil in a wok/pan and add mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and hing
  3. Add the dry chillies.
  4. Next add the fresh chillies and grated ginger.
  5. Now add chopped onion and cook for about 2 mins.
  6. Tip in the chopped watermelon greens :-)
  7. Add enough water and cover with a lid. Let it cook well.
  8. Now just add some salt to taste and sprinkle in the grated fresh coconut.
  9. Serve with some rice, hot rasam and some papaddums and enjoy!
We have something to learn from our elders...they are really very enterprising! I can't get enough of the delicious, beautiful, red, juicy watermelon :-)

3 comments:

Ammu said...

That's sounds new and very interesting. Really innovative.

Divya Rao said...

Thanks Ammu! Let me know how it turns out, if ever you try it :-)

Nithya said...

Wow this one sounds great... Will surely give it a try.. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin