Thursday, September 24, 2009

'Having a good wife and rich cabbage soup, seek not other things' - Russian quote.

Cabbage is an excellent source of Vitamin C. It also contains significant amounts of glutamine, an amino acid which has anti-inflammatory properties. Cabbage can also be included in dieting programs, as it is a negative calorie food. (Source: Wikipedia)

As a kid, cabbage was not one of my favourite things. I remember mum making either cabbage palya (a sort of dry, steamed salad) or cabbage huli/sambar (a sort of lentil stew). Then as I started cooking myself, the unfortunate cabbage was again on my list, as I loathed cutting it! I could never control it. It would just fall apart and spill over my chopping board, unlike other more disciplined vegetables that would stay put and get chopped obediently. However, I did start liking the flavour it had and actually quite started enjoying eating it. I would look at the fresh cabbage in the supermarket and although I'd put it into my shopping basket, the thought of chopping it would always lurk around in my head. But that was until M bought me a shiny extra-long knife! It makes cutting cabbage a breeze. It's also great for melons and pumpkins. Now, see, I know you must be thinking, 'of course, that's stale news!' but for me it was just a very recent discovery :)

So, today I made this very easy cabbage and potato dish. It's very healthy, is mildly spiced and tastes great with rice & dal (lentils) or with chapathis (Indian flat bread).
  • 1/2 a cabbage, chopped or sliced, as you like it
  • 2 medium potatoes, roughly chopped or sliced
  • 1/2 a medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 a medium tomato, chopped
  • a small piece of fresh ginger, grated
  • 2-3 garlic pods, grated
  • 1/2 tbspn ghee (clarified butter) you could even use oil
  • mustard seeds, cumin seeds (jeera), fennel seeds (saunf) - 1/4 tspn each
  • hing, garam masala, turmeric powder, sugar - a pinch each
  • red chilli powder, anardana powder (dry pomegranate), jeera powder - 1/4 tspn each
  • salt to taste
  • fresh coriander, chopped - to garnish
  1. Microwave chopped cabbage and potato until cooked.
  2. Heat ghee/oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add jeera, saunf and hing.
  3. Now add turmeric powder and immediately add chopped onion and saute until the onion is tender.
  4. Add ginger and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes.
  5. Add chopped tomato and cook until soft.
  6. Add steamed cabbage and potato and give it all a good stir.
  7. Put in the masala powders, salt and sugar and mix well.
  8. Leave on low heat until most of the moisture is absorbed.
  9. Garnish with chopped coriander.
You could also incorporate some green peas and chopped carrots in this recipe for an extra boost of veggies.

For a quick bite at lunch, spread some tomato ketchup and mayo on freshly made chapathis. Place spoonfuls of the prepared cabbage and potato and roll. Easy and delicious. Wash it down with a tall glass of fresh spiced buttermilk, yumm!

6 comments:

vidhas said...

i love cabbage, even my kids. yours looks yummy and lovley.

Nithya said...

Hmmmm Yummmm cabbage. This is one vegetable that I have never said no to. :)

kitchen queen said...

you have a nice blog. you can visit my blog view my recipes and give ur comments.

Divya Rao said...

Thank you girls :)

Srikitchen said...

looks too delicious!
do visit my blog when u find time!

Divya Rao said...

Thanks Srilekha!

@ Kitchen Queen: Thanks for dropping by. You have a nice blog :) I couldn't leave a comment though...the comment box did not load properly...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin