Friday, April 2, 2010

Inspired Italian Cooking: Bruschetta


Back from a holiday in India, I slowly felt the kitchen induced lethargy. All the inevitable cooking, the endless pots 'n' pans - some in the sink, some in the dishwasher, the wilting veggies in my fridge, made me want to scream in frustration! Then, as if a storm was gone, the calm settled in, giving me a renewed sense of enthusiasm. I wanted to make something nice for dinner, really! Both husby & I were bored of the routine and wanted something else. So, I decided to try some Italian cuisine. Nothing fancy, thought I'd start with Bruschetta. Awfully simple to make but one heck of a classy, timeless and highly satisfying appetiser/starter/snack!


Bruschetta for two -


4 thick slices of bread - the classic recipe calls for a baguette, but I think any bread will work for a quick fix. (I cut my square slices in half)


1 firm tomato, finely chopped


1 small red onion, finely chopped


2 tbspns fresh basil, finely chopped


3 tbspns grated parmesan


salt & pepper to taste


some minced garlic in olive oil to brush on the slices of bread


  1. Mix finely chopped onion, tomato, basil, cheese and salt & pepper in a bowl.
  2. Brush the slices of bread with the garlic and olive oil.
  3. Grill/toast the slices until crunchy and light brown.
  4. Spread a spoonful of the prepared mixture and serve immediately.
  5. Top with more grated cheese just before serving.
Fresh bruschetta, a bottle of good wine and endless conversation...now that's something I needed to calm down!

3 comments:

kitchen queen said...

lovely and delicious recipe.

Limningedge said...

that will do the trick every time!

Parita said...

I love bruschetta, they are easy to prepare and totally yummy! Love the clicks!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin